It was 100 years ago this month that the State of Georgia created what is now the Georgia Department of Transportation. And two local men played a large role in the history of that department.
In 1916, the muddy roads of Georgia were a mess. County governments were responsible for their local roads, but the resources were few and traversing the state was difficult. To a large extent, convict “chain-gangs” built and maintained roads in the local communities.
That all changed with the coming of the automobile and the pressure it brought toward building better roadways. In 1916, the Federal government got involved in roadbuilding and required states to take a more active role in order to get matching federal funds.
[Full Story »]