A South Jackson man was seriously injured in a cooking fire.
On Friday, December 7, South Jackson, Arcade and the Jackson County Correctional Institute Fire Departments were called to 826 Fuller Road Athens on a reported structure fire. Upon arrival, they found a single family residence with smoke showing.
A man received first, second and third degree burns to his hands, arms and facial areas, approximately 20 percent burns. He was transported to Athens Regional Medical Center and later transferred to Augusta for their burn unit assistance.
The fire was quickly extinguished and the structure sustained moderate damage. The cause of the fire was listed as cooking and a grease fire. The male patient was burned while trying to remove the burning grease to the outside.
No other injuries were reported.