Paying off county debt will be the major part of the upcoming vote to renew a special purpose local option sales tax (SPLOST).
The Jackson County Board of Commissioners approved its plan for SPLOST 6 Monday night. Voting on the plan will be held March 1, 2016, along with the Presidential Preference Primary.
The BOC will get 70 percent of the SPLOST, estimated to total $55.5 million over six years. The county’s nine cities will divide the remaining 30 percent.
Of the $38.8 million the BOC will receive, $21 million will be used to pay off county debt. A little over $9 million will be used for county water projects, $3 million for county road projects, $2.5 million for public safety equipment including 30 new patrol vehicles, and $2.5 million for parks and recreation. The bulk of the parks and rec funds will go toward building a recreation park at Gum Springs.
The individual towns will decide how to spend their individual allocations of the SPLOST funds.
In addition to the March 1 SPLOST referendum, citizens will also vote on extending the ELOST sales tax for the county’s three school districts.